Monday, June 05, 2006

Mug details revealed

For all of you who waited so patiently over the weekend, here is what the mug says:

Akkadian:
e-nu-ma e-liš la na-bu-ú šá-ma-mu
šap-liš am-ma-tum šu-ma la zak-rat

Recognize it? It's the first 2 lines of the Enuma Elish. Duane got it right; however he missed the colophon (see below). He was right that it is a later addition. The Enuma Elish is a good 2500-3000 years earlier than Eisenbrauns :)

Update, 8:00 AM: I missed this for the original post, but I see that Charles over at Awilum also got the text right.

English translation:
When on high no name was given to heaven,
nor below was the netherworld called by name

The smaller inscription next to "eisenbrauns.com" has the determinative LÚ.DAM.GÀR (merchants) plus the phrase kib-rat erbe-tim "of the four corners [of the earth]," which was a classic epithet of the Neo-Assyrian kings. We think it's quite appropriate.

Now, how do you get one?
Enuma Elish cuneiform mug

Enuma Elish cuneiform mug
Pre-orders are welcomed!
Eisenbrauns,Forthcoming mid-June 2006
Ceramic
Your Price: $7.50
www.eisenbrauns.com/wconnect/wc.dll?ebGate~EIS~~I~EISMUG2006

Or, watch BookNews for special offers, and I will have them with me at the American Theological Librarians Association June 22-23.

If you think you can wait until November, we will have them with us at AAR/SBL, too!

2 comments:

Jim said...

wondrous!

Dr. Joseph Ray Cathey said...

James,

Can you email me at drjosephrcathey"at"alltel.net so I can talk with you about this mug. I am in Israel right now and don't have access to my address book.

Best Regards
Joe