Monday, January 01, 2007

Quote for the day

Over the weekend, I re-read the "Conversations" in The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. It is a delightful little book, and I will be posting quotes from it over the next few days. Here's the first one:

“Instead of taking faith for the rule of their conduct, men amused themselves with trivial devotions which changed daily. He[Brother Lawrence] said that faith was sufficient to bring us to a high degree of perfection. We ought to give ourselves up to God with regard both to things temporal and spiritual and seek our satisfaction only in the fulfilling of His will. Whether God led us by suffering or by consolation all would be equal to a soul truly resigned.”

1 comment:

Ted M. Gossard said...

I wonder why it is, that some of this writing seems so foreign to me, almost like from another world.

Though I hear echoed Paul's words: "I've learned to be content, whether I'm abased, or whether I abound." And the words of the great hymn: "Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well. It is well, with my soul.'"

I do want to get into Brother Lawrence's meditations. Thanks.