Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It's August!

It is certainly August here in Indiana. Yesterday afternoon, when I went for my bike ride, I came back covered with black gnats. I looked like I had black measles :) They bite, too.

Yesterday the public schools started, so the traffic was busier than usual when I walked to and from work. People in a hurry to get where they are going; I would say that there was 3-4 times the normal traffic on the road.

I'm not complaining, just observing. I walked out the front door yesterday morning and scared a deer that was eating the corn we put out for them. Yesterday evening after my bike ride, I sat on the front porch and watched the hummingbirds feed on our hummingbird feeder. A few minutes later, a deer came and started eating about 25 feet from me. She got sick of what we had to offer and sauntered down the driveway and across the street to eat some apples that had fallen off the neighbor's trees. The chipmunks chased each other and had a good time. The cardinals fed off our feeder, and a few woodpeckers sampled our suet. Then the mosquitoes came out and drove me inside.

Interesting, we are coming up on four years in Indiana, and loving it. If someone had told me five years ago that I would be living in Indiana, I would have told them they were crazy. If they had said we would be loving it, I would have told them to get their head examined. Interesting how God leads, isn't it?

Tomorrow marks the second anniversary since the truck hit me on my bicycle. You would never know it now, unless you look at the bicycle that was hit (I still use it in the winter for a stationary bike). God is so exceedingly good...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

James
I just went back and read the story of your disagreement with the truck. I can only express my gratitude to God for the miracle he did in your life. Talk about pain, I nearly passed out READING the words "STAPLE" and "HEAD" in the same sentence!

God was good to you, and in doing that, he was good to rest of us too.

Jonathan Erdman said...

I recommend mixing biking up with a bit of jogging!

Just kidding - keep rolling, friend!

Question: Did the truck that hit you stop to help and to make sure you were ok?