Thursday, January 10, 2008

Quote

I ran across this a while back in Rome and Jerusalem, on page 348:

Knowledge is power, but the views of professors do not carry weight in all societies. Scholarship and philosophy were acceptable attributes among members of the political elite in Rome, but they were neither necessary accoutrements nor particularly helpful in establishing a politician's authority.

Hmmm...that could be said of a society closer to home, couldn't it?

By the way, this is a very good book. I have to admit that my reading time is near nil since we bought the house back in October, and it shows in my sidebar, doesn't it? No new books read since before that. Oh well, I am almost done with this one, and only have a stack about 10 high of books I need to read...

1 comment:

Andy said...

So is it the house that has nixed your reading time? Or something else?