Thursday, July 09, 2009

Five Influential Primary Sources

Updated
Nick tagged me on a strange meme. Here are the rules:


1. List the 5 primary sources that have most affected your scholarship, thoughts about antiquity, and/or understanding of the NT/OT.
2. Books from the Bible are off limits unless you really want to list one, I certainly will not chastise you for it.
3. Finally, choose individual works if you can. This will be more interesting than listing the entire corpus of Cicero as one of your choices.


That's a tough one, so I have been mulling it around in my mind for a few days—I bet Nick thought I was ignoring him :) So, here's my best guess on influential primary sources:

1. The Toothache incantation in Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament. I remember the first time I read it; I couldn't fathom why the incantation went all the way back to creation. But, it helped me understand (I think!) how the ancient mind worked.

2. The Kumarbi Cycle in Hittite. A fascinating Hurrian creation myth that almost certainly influence Hesiod, and therefore the Greek world.

3. The plague prayers of Mursili. The concept of guilt and repentance because of a plague brought back from Egypt is (at least to my knowledge) unique in the non-Israelite world.

4. The Aeneid, especially the underworld scene. In order for Aeneas to enter the underworld, his pilot has to die. The concept of substitutionary death found there led me to look for it in other places, as well.

5. Not sure what to put here, there are several that fight for the spot, but I would have to say the Didache wins. I remember reading it for the first time in a Baker reprint of the Lightfoot translation. Then, I remember reading it in Greek the first time. The other day, I sat down and read it again in Greek just for the fun of it...

OK, whom to tag...Nick already tagged some I would have, but here we go:
Jim West (just because I know he hates memes), Charles Halton, Duane our abnormally interesting friend, John Hobbins, and how about Jay at mu-pad3-da. If anyone else wants to participate, please do so and leave a comment letting me know.

3 comments:

Jim said...

too late. done did it

Jim Getz said...

Do you mean the plague prayers of Musili?

jps said...

Jim,

Yeah, those! I got mixed up with the apology :( I had better change the post!

James