Monday, March 14, 2011

Vulnerable people

“One of the four vulnerable classes protected by the Hebrew prophets was that of the immigrant. While foreigners residing in Israel could convert, the injunction to provide them with shelter and guard their legal rights was not qualified by whether they had entered the covenant or not. That showed that Israel's justice and compassion was not to be confined to only its own believing community.”— Generous Justice, page 61

<idle musing>
I've been looking at 3 main words in the Hebrew Bible for immigrant/foreigner lately. Just so we're on the same page, the words are gēr (ֵגר), nokrī (ָנכִר), and tôšab (תֹוָשב) (not sure if the vowel points came through correctly...). I'm leaning towards translating ger as illegal immigrant, but not sure yet. TDOT calls them "protected citizens" which makes no sense to me at all.

On the other hand, nokri could well be the illegal immigrant...I need to look at the texts a bit closer. What do you think?
</idle musing>

6 comments:

tim bulkeley said...

I've often rendered gēr (גר) by things like "resident alien" i.e. a foreigner whose right to reside is recognised, but who is still seen as foreign (a bit like "permanent resident" status in NZ). I wonder what reasons you have for seeing it differently.

jps said...

Tim,

I'm wondering if the right to reside is always recognized in the Hebrew Bible. Perhaps that is why they are continually being singled out for protection? Not sure yet, but looking at it. And, what is the relationship to nokri (נכר)? Does it shift over time? All these are just provisional ideas right now.

What do you think? Am I way off?

James

tim bulkeley said...

I'd doubt that a "right" to reside was the case so much as a recognised and accepted fact of residing, my wording above was careless.

But I confess I have not really done any research.

Recently in a class I noticed how in Ruth 2:10 maybe there is some play between the two supposed nkr roots לְהַכִּירֵנִי וְאָנֹכִי נָכְרִיָּה׃ that might point in the direction of the way you are seeing the words.

I was really asking for a fuller explanation of what you said in the post :)

jps said...

Tim,

Well, in that case...I'm thinking there might be a case to be made for treating illegal immigrants a bit better. If gēr (גר) is equal to the illegal immigrant, then YHWH takes a dim view on some nations treatment of them...On the other hand, if nokri (נכר) is the equivalent, then it is a bit more of a stretch.

James

tim bulkeley said...

Ah... I think I'd argue that case by noticing that in the laws where the good treatment of foreigners is at stake Yahweh's argument is you were foreigners in Egypt, since they were slaves they were nearer illegal immigrants than to resident aliens...

jps said...

Tim,

Good point. I'm reviewing all the verbal occurrences of gēr (גר) right now. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks!
James