Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Holy or holey?

“The hole in our holiness is that we don't really care much about it. Passionate exhortation to pursue gospel-driven holiness is barely heard in most of our churches. It's not that we don't talk about sin or encourage decent behavior. Too many sermons are basically self-help seminars on becoming a better you. That's moralism, and its not helpful. Any gospel that says only why you must do and never announces what Christ has done is no gospel at all.”—Kevin DeYoung, The Hole in Our Holiness, pages 11-12

<idle musing>
Just saw this book in an e-mail and managed to read a few preview pages. This little snippet jumped out at me, though. Sadly, he's right; most of what passes for "holiness preaching" is little more than moralistic self-improvement. I have become firmly convinced that the practical theology of most american christians is just Pelagianism.

We really think we can do it, don't we?!
</idle musing>

1 comment:

That's my 2 cents! said...

Yes, but I don't think people really know what they are doing. And when corrected sometimes I see a light go on. Don't know that it stays on, but if pointed back to God continually I certainly hope they pursue God rather than self.

My favorite piece of wool over the eyes is, "Every Man's Battle"...you know with sexual lust. "For by means of a harlot
A man is reduced to a crust of bread;
And an adulteress will prey upon his precious life."

I like the way God uses "crust" or "loaf" of bread. But really? Every man's battle is against being reduced to an inanimate food stuff? Unfortunately I see it to be true. Christian men have accepted that simply being male means they have to accept victimization of women or men with the lust which victimizes themselves as well. One cannot reduce another person to an object to be used, and not become an object himself. And the battle must rage for the rest of his life?!

When God showed me I was using people he opened my eyes to see how much he wanted to relate to me and others through me, but never use me. Satan uses people. Jesus overcomes the world, and that includes lust. It is no great battle when God shows us winning the war is in his love and loving in and through us. Rather than being an old crusty moldy pizza bone, fit only to be gnawed by rats, God transforms our lives into a feast with which he feeds us and countless others without fail!

To God be the glory!

Lonnie